Lipoma Removal St. Louis
Our Board-Certified Experts in Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery can help safely and effectively remove your lipomas.
What Is a Lipoma?
A lipoma is a benign (noncancerous) growth of fat cells. Lipomas most often occur on the torso, neck, and proximal extremities, but they can occur anywhere on the body.
Lipoma Removal Surgery
Lipoma removal is performed using local anesthesia in an outpatient surgical procedure. This creates the safest and most effective environment for lipoma removal. After the site is anesthetized, an incision is made through the skin to expose the lipoma. A meticulous dissection is performed to separate the lipoma from your normal tissues. Once the lipoma is removed, the skin is sutured together.
When Should You Consider Removing a Lipoma?
When lipomas grow or enlarge, they can cause pain and discomfort by compressing nerves, muscle tissue, or blood vessels. As lipomas grow, they can create deformities that cause cosmetic concerns.
- Large lipomas that cause deformity or pain
- Lipomas that interfere with normal functions
- Lipomas that cause distress or cosmetic concerns
Recovery After Lipoma Surgery
- After surgery, you should take it easy and minimize your physical activity for the first week.
- You may return to non-physical work the next day.
- A pressure dressing over the incision site is left in place for 24-48 hours.
- You should keep the surgical site dry for 24 hours. You can shower after 24 hours.
Schedule Your Consultation
At St. Louis Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery, our board-certified experts in dermatology can help safely remove your lipomas in an outpatient office based procedure. Schedule your consultation today by calling (314) 834-1400. We provide the highest quality care in a warm and compassionate environment.